Sunday, April 09, 2006

I lift my left, you lift your right
Your eyes peer at mine
I reach to touch you and can't quite
Connect, although we do align

In you I see behind me
But behind you is dull and black
So your rear is faced away that we
Can trust that you have got our back

Identical we are, but do contrast:
I have your hips, your smile, your nose
But your features appear more glassed
Than mine, although it vaguely shows

You walk and turn and spin and mock
Me as I prepare for the day
And when I start to speak you talk
Over me forecasting what I'll say

Some look at you for days and years
Needing your curt nod to leave
You show them all their greatest fears
Though what you say they must believe

For you cannot lie, yet we want
Your scrutiny to be more mild
Instead you mimic and you taunt
And your judgments drive us wild

Our dearest friend and greatest foe
We are mesmerized by your stare
That tells us all we wish to know
But, O! wished more we didn’t care.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're born to be a writer, Janelle. I love it when people can put into words (and such good ones) what they're feeling...and also what a lot of other people are feeling. Thanks.