Saturday, May 19, 2012

Last week recap

Ahhh, the life of a girl on medical maternity leave!  Well, it's only been a week--and a very fun-filled week at that--but this is what not having a job is all about, right? My last week at Timberline was extremely eventful. That weekend was Mother-Daughter Camp and it was by far the smoothest and most fun camp I have been a part of since working at TR.  I had a dozen volunteer wranglers come in for the weekend to help run activities in the barn; with the exception of us letting most of the horses out accidentally on Saturday night and chasing them haphazardly around the property and across the main playing fields during the dinner banquet, I would vote that the entire camp was a happy success.  The following day we had a guest group in, so it was a day filled with trail rides. My other wranglers had worked six days straight, so I gave everyone Tuesday off. It was my intention to come in for the morning, feed and do a few chores, and then come back for the afternoon.  I had a few hour banked hours I needed to use up anyway, so the planned seemed perfect. However,  Tuesday was a horrible-awful-sad day.  After loading the tractor bucket with hay I proceeded to feed the herd stationed in what we call the dirt field. As soon as I opened the gate and drove into the field, I saw a sight that caused my heart to nearly stop: Bailey, one of our older, true blue horses, was caught in amongst the fence, some green metal paneling and a cement barricade. Her legs were  rigid, her breathing was labored, and the flies were settling on her blood-crusted wounds. I called for help from one of the maintenance guys, as all my wranglers were off that day. Unfortunately Bailey was already in shock by the time I found her, and even though we chainsawed the fence boards apart to pull her from the mess, we were too late. Needless to say, it was a terrible experience.  I'll never forget the  look in Bailey's eyes as I gently pulled her head and neck free, and how quietly she passed while still in my arms.  The rest of the day passed in blur of phone calls and doing the things that need to be done in a barn, regardless of circumstances.  Brooke and Phil graciously offered to do the afternoon feeding for me, so I left at lunch after what felt like a day that lasted an eternity.  I had Wednesday off but the poor girls in the barn had to deal with the loss of one of everyone's favourite horses during their regular work day on Wednesday. Our pre-planned ride up to Golden Ears and Allco Park for Thursday was a much-needed escape after a grueling few days, and we all appreciated having a "fun day" to look forward to. Thursday truly was a gift from the Lord! The ride was everything we had hoped for: good weather, safe horses, great scenery and fun gallops through the parks! It took nearly four hours to get to Allco because a bridge was closed on one of the main trail routes.  After some genius maneuvering by Kim and Nicole we were able to make it home in two and a half hours AND we found an alternate trail route for future day-long rides. Yippee! Friday presented us with amazing weather so we elected to bathe and photograph two horses that we've put up for sale. After lunch we had my last staff meeting (*sniff!*) where the ranch presented me with a gift card and a fruit bouquet (in lieu of cake, which I cannot digest these days)! I wasn't excepting anything and was extremely touched by their generosity and kindness.  By the way, fruit kicks cake's butt any day. Strawberries, melon, cantaloupe, blueberries and pineapple on skewers? Heck. Yes. I was sad to leave, but I'm grateful for these three months before Little One gets here--and besides, I can visit the ranch lots and lots and lots :). On Saturday David and I went up to Hiker's Beach for lunch and general lounging. I really enjoy lying on my stomach when I'm in the sun, but that doesn't seem safe or pleasant for Babe... So I dug a small hole in the sand, lay my towel over it, and presto!--a perfectly comfy belly hole! :) That evening we had friends from Kamloops and Abbotsford come over for dessert and visiting.  It's always great seeing old friends and it always seems like the time shared is too short. Sunday was my first Mother's Day! We walked to church (as is our custom now--yay!), came home for lunch and gardening, and then biked to Timberline to visit the petting zoo. What a hot day! But it was lovely. We then biked to my parents' house for a joint Mother's Day-slash-birthday for Paul with the siblings and kids. It was a super weekend and a great way to step into mat leave!

No comments: