Sunday, April 15, 2012

Welllllll... It's been a long April! There isn't anything new on the baby front--which is excellent because I'm not sure I could handle any more surprises right now :). Quick run-down:
Good Friday - broke my wrist toppling off my bike
Easter weekend - fun! Sunny! No complaints
This past Tuesday - we had to put down MacGyver, our awesome cat :(. Sad, sad day for us. Cricket is having a difficult time adjusting... Poor kitty.
Today - I arrived at the ranch to find that Sarabi delivered her foal overnight--two and a half months earlier than the vet told us she was due! Unfortunately she delivered him in the field with 42 other horses. By the time I got there she had rejected him completely and he was following Asia around, thinking she was his mummy. I managed to move him and Sarabi to a boxstall but she was intent on attacking him. After hours of milking the mare, bottle feeding the colt, and having half a dozen people help restrain Sarabi, the baby was finally able to nurse on his own. However, she is still trying to injure him when he gets too close so they will need to have 1-2 wranglers in the stall with them overnight and possibly much longer. Oi. This is a busy week with trail rides and guest groups too. We are all praying for strength and energy!

In spite of the stressful day it was very cool to be the first human to handle Little Colt and to have him snuggle up all over me. I had no experience with day-old foals, so today was pretty unbelievable. We had to find the placenta and examine it. Kathryn from the kitchen came down to help and she offered to carry the after birth out of the field for us. Her reasoning: "I'm a chef; meat is meat." So. Gross. :)

But anyway, Little Colt is a fighter and I'm in love already!

I really, really hope this little guy lives. I can't bear to see two animals die in one week :(.

1 comment:

Tara said...

Oh my, that is an eventful week! Praying for you dear friend. You are so wonderful!