Saturday, March 30, 2013

And she will be called "Beautiful, Tender, Soft."








 On Tuesday, March 27th, my dear mother-in-law passed from this life and into the arms of her Heavenly Father after a lengthy battle with cancer. Words really cannot express the void in our lives now that David's incredible mother is with the Lord.

I knew Linda for only seven years; I can only imagine the sorrows of those who knew her for their whole lives and for her whole life. She leaves behind her husband, her two sons, a grandson, a daughter-in-law, five older sisters and an older brother and their spouses, many nephews, nieces, cousins, and countless friends.

Her husband Don embodied the vow "in sickness and in health" and personified faithfulness to his wife as she weakened over the years. He very literally loved and served her until her dying breath, and in doing so he honoured his wife and brought glory to God--and set a beautiful example before his children.

Her two sons, David and Sean, are both mighty men of God who have inherited Linda's passion for her King and her gentle spirit. These men are courageous spiritual leaders who are strong in their convictions, raising the sword of justice to defend the weak and encourage the lost; and yet their hearts are tender. They have understood that Christ is both Lion and Lamb, and they strive to exemplify his character in all that they do. Linda was so pleased with her boys! She never ceased to remind them that she was praying for them and she was quick to tell them how much she loved them.

Her grandson, Judah Hawk, will remember his dear Grandma through pictures and stories. During his last visit with Linda he sat and played quietly on her bed for over an hour without a single fuss. When she picked him up to give him a goodbye kiss, Judah latched onto her cheek for dear life and gave her the biggest, gummiest baby kiss he could. It was perfect, wonderful... unforgettable.

I did not think it possible for a woman to be blessed with an incredible mother and incredible mother-in-law... but the Lord delights in giving good gifts to his children! In the seven years I knew Linda, never once did I ever feel like the daughter in law. In fact, Linda always addressed cards to me as her daughter, thanking God for bringing me into her life. I was always so humbled by how quickly she opened her arms to accept me as one of her own children. I was always made to feel special in her presence! It didn't take much for me to realize that Linda saw each person as a beloved child of God; she in turn loved everyone more fervently and enthusiastically than anyone I have ever known.

Linda was a generous and joyful giver of gifts. She never sent me home empty-handed: whether it was a batch of cookies, a plant she chose from her garden with me in mind, a trinket she saw while shopping that reminded her of me, or even just a little packet of chocolates ("I know how much you like these!"), she always had a way of making me feel like a princess. To top it off, each of her gifts were always carefully wrapped in beautiful paper, and she would watch in eager anticipation to see my reaction to my special surprise. Truly she knew the verse "It is more blessed to give than to receive" for she delighted in showering me with gifts of all kinds.

Linda also knew how to serve whole-heartedly - and always with a joyful heart! Even "simple" family meals showed evidence of the time and care she put into preparations. From the adorable little place settings, to the special salt and pepper shakers, to the whimsical napkin holders, the flowers, the linens, the china... no matter what was served we always enjoyed an extravagant feast of love! Even long after her stomach allowed her to enjoy certain meals and delicacies, she continued to selflessly prepare the dishes her family loved and those she had established as holiday traditions over the years.

Linda loved her garden, organic coffee, Mennonite foods, "Survivor" and "Dancing with the Stars", baking, reading, going for walks, and relaxing in the sunshine... but most of all she loved people. She loved visiting her family and friends, engaging in delightful conversation over coffee, tea, fruit-filled or caramel-y desserts, and a good board game. I could never come close to beating her at a game of Scrabble! :) Some of my favourite memories of just Linda and I involve going to farm markets, visiting fields of flowers, picking fruit, spending a weekend away watching movies, walking in the sun, having picnics, going to Starbucks, and making strawberry jam. Our birthday gatherings were always filled with so much happiness! Speaking of birthdays, Linda enjoyed the longest birthday celebrations of anyone I have ever known... they lasted days, if not weeks! What a testament it is to how many friends and loved ones you have if you need to enlist multiple venues and parties just to be sure everyone feels like they had the opportunity to spoil you and lavish you with blessings! (And imagine all that cake... yum!)

Linda's faith in the Lord was strong and steady throughout her physical decline. Even when she knew she was unlikely to have much time left on earth, she remained in cheerful, hopeful spirits. When I would call to ask her about her day and remind her that we were praying ceaselessly for her, she would rarely let the conversation rest long on her struggles, but always was keen to enquire about our lives and about how she could be praying for me. Her strength will forever be an inspiration to me, especially during times of hardship.

The name Linda means "beautiful, tender, soft." Has anyone ever fit a name so perfectly? Indeed she was beautiful! Looking through the multitudes of pictures of Linda I realized there were very few where she wasn't beaming the biggest, most joyful and beautiful smile! Her exuberance for her Lord and for life shone through her, and she was a clear example of the godly woman spoken about in 1 Peter 3:3-4:

"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight."

Seven years is a very short time to know someone, and my heart is grieved that I won't be making anymore jam with her on this side of heaven; but Linda left a lasting legacy that will not be forgotten, and I pray that I might grow to be such a servant-hearted, tender, gentle and loving woman of God--just like she was.

I love you, Mom. I miss you dearly already and I wish you didn't have to leave us so soon. I am excited to dance with you in Heaven one day and for you to show me your favourite fields of flowers! Thank you for raising such a wonderful son who would in turn become the best husband and father to your dear little grandson. I will miss you forever, but whenever I think of you my heart will be filled with joy and thankfulness that the Lord allowed me seven years with you.

Your daughter,

Janelle

No comments: