Monday, March 25, 2013

The Littlest Sheep


Judah has started to do this new thing. It is awesome. WAY better than what he used to do.

He used to roar like a dinosaur. And not even in a cute way. In a really loud, really forceful, really assertive kind of way. He did it when we were in the library last week, and it was SO LOUD that we got a few good stares. I was embarassed and felt the need to do... well, something. So I leaned towards Judah in his stroller and said, "Judah! You are being rude!" while shaking my head and wagging my finger. I secretly hoped that people would assume I was speaking to a toddler and not a seven month old.

In turn, Judah looked at me blankly and growled again. And grinned like a maniac and drooled everywhere. Because he's a baby. A baby that sounds like a full-sized Tyrannosaurus rex.

Sometimes his growling is cute though. But the really loud ones? They usually happen in church while the pastor is praying, when I'm on an important phone call, while guest speakers at the ladies group I attend are sharing their heart-wrenching stories, or when I'm leading bible study. Cute for a bit, but definitely distracting.

So when Judah started to make this new sound we were delighted. It kind of sounds like a little lamb learning how to bleat crossed with a fish gently smacking its lips together.

Ok, worst description ever.

Imagine a quiet "buh bup bah" repeated over and over. It's actually adorable and a welcome reprieve from the yelling.

I lie. It's really stinkin' cute.

It reminds me of the analogy Jesus used about the good shepherd and his sheep... "The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice...I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me." (John 10:3,4,14)  Maybe Judah is just talking to Jesus in his own little voice :). So this morning when I had to rouse Judah an hour and a half before his usual wake up time in order to make the rush-hour commute to BC Children's Hospital for his helmet re-scan, I cannot describe just how cute it was to watch him open his eyes, smile up at me and start his little sheep babble! I was tickled to listen to him "bap buh baa"-ing for the entire drive. I wasn't even upset that he wasn't sleeping!

And the rest of the day was just as delightful! I can tell you were praying--thank you! Neil was the orthotist who did the scan and the entire process was quick, seamless and (most importantly) painless for Hawk. Neil even commented on how impressed he was with Judah's progress. His head is already showing improvement, in spite of only being Helmut-ed for a couple weeks! Praise God!

We went from Children's to Eagle Ridge Hospital for Judah's physio, where our therapist expressed how impressed she was with the flexibility and range of motion Hawk's neck is showing since Friday! Again, praise the Lord and thank you for praying! 

New Helmut arrives in a couple weeks, and as long as Hawk's rash remains stifled then we can keep him in current Helmut to allow for a seamless transition to the new headgear.


It was a gorgeous spring day so we spent some time in the grass and in the sun. There's something about a warm, sunny afternoon that makes things seem one hundred times better :).


All in all, the day went great! We're currently praying for an all-over rash that has broken out across Judah's legs, tummy, back, neck and face. It could be anything from eczema to an allergy... Both of which do NOT run in David's or my family--so I'm at a loss as to what to do or expect. My doctor wasn't much help, unfortunately. I've ordered a hazelwood necklace because I've heard they're meant to be helpful for rashes and eczema. If any of you lovely readers have any suggestions feel free to post them in the comments or message me on Facebook. Thank you! We'll get through this too :). Thank you also to all of you who have been praying for David's mom and our family. She is ready to meet Jesus... Please pray He would bring her home soon. Love to you all!

No comments: